Monday, May 21, 2007

34

The following takes place between the years 1973 and 2007...

In honor of the 24 season finale tonight I thought I would start my birthday blog off with a familiar segue; however, that's really the only parallel I can think of between my life and the show I so love. But that won't keep me from trying to continue this allegory throughout this blog. It's my blog, so I can TRY anything I want.

The most inviting and addicting thing about my favorite show 24 is the non-stop adventure, cliff-hangers, plot twists and sheer intrigue of the characters. In comparing that to my life over the last 34 years I can easily relate. My life has been a non-stop adventure: from the first time I tried to ride a bike, to learning how to drive a stick-shift with my mother in the car, to leaving for college, to getting married, to having kids and to present...it has been one exciting turn after another, sometimes full of welcome and other times unfortunate plot twists. Has it been much different than others' lives? No. But for me, so far, I can't think of a dull moment.

Cliff hangers are also very prevalent in my 34 years. I really feel like I'm hanging from a cliff most of the time. And seriously, if one more kid asks me for a snack, I am letting go!! It seems like I have found security in hanging from this cliff. Making those closest to me wonder, "Will she make it through this?" or "Why in the world does she continue to hang onto THAT cliff?" or "She has been hanging from that cliff forever...she should try swimming instead." The unknown is attractive to me. I think that is why I like the show 24 so much. I love saying, "Will Jack make it out of this one?" Of course he always does. And so far, I've made it through most of my cliff hangers. No, I'm not being chased by terrorists, but I am being bombarded with little tiny requests everyday that threaten to turn me into what could strike fear into even the fiercest terrorist, a crazy Mother.

And there have definitely been interesting characters along the way. I could write pages on the characters that have influenced my life both for the good and some for the bad. However, I should highlight the important ones that have contributed to the fact that I am still alive and trying to hang from the above mentioned cliffs. PKS, JRS, JRG, and little JRS...you've known me the longest have seen me through most cliffs and still continue to cheer me on. Here's to at least one more season!! Diana Berry, long time friend, teacher of how to keep cabinets closed, and how to play bass...you should receive an Emmy for the role you have had in this show. My slightly liberal friend and blatant answer to a desperate prayer...thanks for pulling me back up off the cliff I was on 3 years ago. To my swim coaches both past and present...letting go of some cliffs sometimes, just lands me in the water that you have taught (and are teaching) me to swim in. Let's just hope I can survive the fall. Then there is the man closest to me who has taught me what true loyalty is. A lesson that I could have only learned from you. Last but not least is my Savior...who has seen me through every cliff hanger, every "intriguing" character, and every plot twist in the 34 years. I'm so thankful that the director of this show loves me and wants the best for me.

So in summary... as I write from my current cliff I am content. In 34 years, I have learned a lot, and continue to learn. I think in another 34 years I won't even know where the nearest cliff is and I will be making a million requests to my children who will be forced to listen to my assessment of their lives and how they can get off the cliffs they are hanging from. Oh, how much fun that will be!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

BRAVO!! BRAVO!! ENCORE!! ENCORE!! It was so great to check and find a new article, all by myself! It happened with the 3 Winks, too! What fun! You almost influence me to become addicted to 24. Almost, but not quite. You influenced me finally to try swim team my Soph. year of high school, which I loved and then went on to win VIP of. There's a ton of other influences, but more lately, I've finally become hooked on Francine Rivers, thank you. But 24? It hasn't happened, yet. I'll just keep checking here for the 24 of JRM.

Jenn said...

JRM: "don't you ever imagine things different from what they are JRG?"

JRG: No

JRM: "How much you miss!?"

What is this from dear sister?

Anonymous said...

What do you mean? I know what that is from. Do you mean watching 24 is imagining things different from how they are? I don't know. Terrorists chasing you...doesn't sound different. Sounds like how things are, but more advanced and close to home. I already think too much about that! Yikes!

Anonymous said...

julie don't you mean MVP instead of VIP, hehehahahaheehehahahehehehahehehahaheehahehehehehah:)

Anonymous said...

Oh, look who's reading and commenting, now, and critiquing. Thank you for checking me on that. I was pretty close. Same difference.