Friday, January 2, 2009

Two Days in a Row People!!

I am off to a very convincing start.  Two days in a row, I believe is an all time record since the founding of this riveting blog.  

Today I am wondering how much I need to fight my kids on what they wear.  My mother told me what I was going to wear everyday, and I can vividly remember a knock down drag out fight in the 4th grade where my mom wanted me to wear a cute purple knicker/overall combination for picture day, and I wanted to wear the cute light colored pink shirt that was sure to wash me out in the picture.  It didn't really matter what I wore on that day; I still had a disgustingly boyish haircut that made any outfit look suspiciously like my mother wanted a girl so badly that she was turning her little boy into a little girl. After threatening to run away and the timely arrival of the bus, my mom bitterly let me have my way and the picture came out just as my mom threatened.  A toothy, short haired girl/boy? washed out because her shirt was too light.  It was one of many bloody battles over clothes and I have never forgotten it. As a result, I let my kids, basically choose what they want to wear.  With the exception of church on Sunday, they basically dress themselves.  I figure, especially on the days we are home, let them develop their own sense of style and freedom.  Believe me, I already control, what some would argue, as too much in their lives since I homeschool.  

So today as I write I am watching my girls play Wii (their response to their dad and I telling them they have not exercised enough over this vacation.)  Haley is actually dressed pretty well.  Cute purple sweat pants and a matching purple t-shirt.  Her red hair is nicely groomed and I feel like maybe she is coming out of her wacky phase.  Kayci is dressed in blue sweat pants and a blue and white striped hoodie that is meant to have a tank-top of some kind under it.  The plunging neck line is a little revealing.  I asked her why her chest was showing and she said, "I like it." OK, I guess she'll have plenty of time to be embarrassed of her chest as she realizes she is cursed with her mom's DNA.  Courtney is wearing a fuschia dress (She love Fancy Nancy), with turquoise sweat pants with a yellow stripe down the side and a striped pink white and green t-shirt/long sleeved combo over the dress.  Can you picture it?  If you've ever had a child or seen my children you probably can.  She is so proud that she put the outfit together and her sister's are too kind-hearted to tell her that she is way off.  

So I will continue to let the line out easily.  Who cares if people don't think I know how to dress my kids?  I KNOW how, I just choose to not fight this battle right now.  Kayci knows that it is inappropriate to show that much skin in public, but while in our home, why not? Courtney is very cute in her mismatched clothes and doesn't care what other people think...yet.  Far too soon, she will stop making her own choices based on what she likes and start making decisions based on what her friends are doing.  Haley is almost there, as demonstrated by the fact that she is well put together this morning.  I am going to just enjoy them and applaud their style.  I'm sure I'll let you know when I have lost complete control, and they are all dressing like street-walkers to go to high-school.  But until then...I think they are cute.

2 comments:

Artie said...

I'm sure that when people see your mismatched children they don't think you did it. People with kids KNOW. My son puts together some pretty interesting outfits some times. Red socks with ev-er-y-thing.
and if they do think you dressed them that way...well who cares. let them think you are a Kate and Ashley Olsen fashionista or some earthy hippie type that intentionally wears mismatched clothes because vegan clothing only comes in certain colors.
My mom always let me dress pretty much how I wanted too. do you remember our freshman year, when Nirvana was all the rage and grunge ruled our worlds? I wore boxers peeking out from under my ripped jeans (Mr. ripley liked my ripped jeans...perv) and a flannel shirt around my waist and a somewhat cropped top. and big hair. cuz the grunge look of being supposedly "grunge-y" would not be complete without a hair style that obviously took more than the 5 minutes were were sure it appeared to have taken.
I'm sure your girls are adorable no matter what they wear and I think the goofiest outfits are the best. my son and I went on a date. he wore dress slacks, a white dress shirt, a tie, and his frog rain boots. then he changed into his flip flops. LOL
did you know they make sets of socks that all mismatched. check amazon.com for "little mismatched". Its a set of 3 socks that are totally different.
You know all the anal moms out there just buy 2 of the same set and get 3 pairs. LOL
I dare you to just get one set. ;)

Jodie said...

No need to fight this battle. Let them dress as they will. I have given up trying to get my daughter out of her daily outfit of a leotard and tights (I hid her bathing suits). As long as she gets "dressed" in something other than a leotard when we go in public--all is well. I told her that we were going out about 15 minutes ago. She is currently wearing tights under a very outgrown pair of purple short shorts, a red tank top (backwards, so she has the same cleavage problem as your daughter) under a black dressy jacket. I am pretty sure, though, that people will have many more reasons than they way she is dressed to question my parenting prowess. So, I will let her dress as she wishes and hope it distracts from everything else.