Friday, January 2, 2009

The Dark Knight

(Warning: This is not a light hearted blog. It is an attempt to clear my brain of the mess I've made of it)

I just discovered something disturbing about myself. I suspected this might be true, but now I am certain. I recently read a book. I would rather not disclose the title, because some of you would want to read it only out of morbid curiosity. You wouldn't take my warning or read with any seriousness that it changed me for the worse. The book was the idea of my book club, which after reading this book I have decided to quit. Oprah endorsed this book, which drops her even lower on my list of people that deserve respect. The book took me about a month to read, and in that month and since then the world has seemed a little darker, colored gray by the graphic pictures my brain created because of the creative power of this writer. My brother in law read the book in 1989, and when he saw that I was reading it said the pictures came rushing back. He also says he regrets ever reading it. I hoped I could be like most and just "let it go," but alas it is not to be. The further away from reading this book I get, the more regret I feel. There is so much good to be read in this world. But I filled my mind with details about man's capacity to do evil and glean joy from it. Another fellow blogger of mine wrote about wishing she could press ctrl-alt-delete to remove some of the things she had viewed. Oh, if only we had such a group of buttons to erase that which we wish was not part of our thoughts.

Confirmation of the damage this book has done came tonight as I watched The Dark Knight. I had heard that it was a good movie, but on the dark side. Very psychologically engaging and interesting in the questions of social ethics it raises. I enjoyed the movie. I thought it was well done. But it didn't bother me at all. My personality has a really hard time with injustice. I have often joked that my need for justice will land me in an institution someday. This movie was full of injustice and I told Steve it was like "watching a cartoon," compared to the book I just finished.

Ruined. And all because I read a book that started with the author boasting..."I don't believe in God." That should have been my first clue that this was not the book for me.

7 comments:

Jodie said...

My prescription is that you next read an amazing book. The best book ever written. (I would suggest a few to you, but since you and I differ in reading tastes--I am not confident that I could give you a good suggestion.) It needs to be a positive, happy book. One that is life-changing. One that you just don't want to ever end. Perhaps your other readers have suggestions? Maybe this will replace the negative mental imagery that this other book placed in your brain.

The other thought is that you could get started on watching "Lost." Once you start watching that, every part of your brain is consumed with trying to figure it out. Let me know if you need Season 1.

I have to say that I was pretty disturbed by certain parts of The Dark Knight. Wish I would have never seen some of the things I saw in that movie.

Artie said...

Oh Lost is a good suggestion. There is a website and everything. You can become a total lost geek. ;)

I'm so sorry to hear that you're suffering with this. I can TOTALLY relate. I'm really disillusioned with Oprah as well. Not sure what book you're talking about or why such a book would be on her list.

Have you read the wind in the willows books? you know with toad and Badger etc? I read them with my husband when we were first married. they didn't do anything for me as a child but they are great!! not sure how you feel about the harry potter series but those are good books full of imagination - the good kind.
I'm trying to think of some other good reads that are fiction that would swallow your brain up in a good way. I'll let you know when I think of some.
In the meantime, just know that this will fade. The images will always be there but they will fade to the recesses of your mind.
I am still haunted by portions of "seven" a movie which I wish I could purge from my brain.

have you seen "in her shoes" with cameron diaz? that is the movie that reintroduced me to ee cummings. watch a few good movies...that'll flood out some of the ooginess too.

Artie said...

have you seen "the notebook"?
there's a book. Not sure if the book is a screenplay or if the movie was based on the book. awesome movie.
also, the lakehouse with sandra bullock...one of my all time faves.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn

My prescription for being depressed about evil: read two books about people doing profound good.

"Mountains Beyond Mountains" is about Dr. Paul Farmer, a brilliant, quirky physician who has dedicated his life to treating the poor of Haiti and other parts of the world. He has built multiple medical clinics in the far reaches of the Island and lived there treating people for free for most of his career.

Second, "Three Cups of Tea", which is about Greg Mortenson, a mountain climber who got lost in Afghanistan. He drifted into a local village and inspired by the villagers' kindness to him, promised to return and build a school for their children. At the time, he had no job, no assets and no experience in fundraising or construction. Today he runs an agency that has built 53 schools.

Both Farmer and Mortenson are idealists who care little about possessions and car passionately about other people. I know this sounds like these could be really boring stories, but trust me, they aren't. The books are well-written and chronicle the very human struggles of each man.

I really was inspired by both books. If you want to read them, let me know. I'll bring them by when I drop off 'Have a New Kid by Friday" (which I'm almost done with -- and as you promised, I'm learning a ton from.)

Kelly

Kelly

Anonymous said...

You should try popular mechanics, you can learn how to good by changing people's brakes and such. Oh, oh, I also like the series on Bugs Bunny - that Elmer is a hoot!

Lisa Hemstreet said...

I have a solution for ya...blog!!! We miss you!!! Talk to you soon!

Artie said...

hey, how many kelly's do you know anyway?!?!
and I thought about you cuz I did this thing to myself again the other day...polluted my brain. ugh.