Monday, June 18, 2007

Day Belonging to Fathers

Let me say a few words about my Dad. I used to say that my dad was the most perfect man to walk the earth, besides Jesus. He didn't like it when I said that. I used to say that my dad was a very patient man. He doesn't like that either, because it turns out in some cases he's not patient at all. (especially in instances of changing brakes, people chewing loudly, high school chem/physics or double faulting). I used to be amazed at how he handled a household full of emotional women. And to that I can say a resounding...I'm still amazed. I don't know how he did it without killing us all...slowly. I am still astounded by the fact that he made me and my sisters such a huge priority in his life. I took for granted that's how every one's dad was. It turns out I was among the lucky ones. I think the job of dad is hard. I've never been one, but I'm married to one. I think it must be hard to balance it all. The stress of work, the pressures of being a man, and then trying to meet the emotional needs of the family. It must be hard. My dad made it look easy. He still does. He is an amazing dad to me still. He's an outstanding grandpa (Papaw). It just seems to come naturally to him. He was created to be a positive influence on kids and he embraced that calling with everything in him. My sisters and I all knew how to hit a baseball, a tennis ball, and a golf ball. We could throw a football pretty well at young ages. And he tucked us in every night, inspite of how tired he must have been most of the time.

Now in all fairness I have to say that the reason my dad could spend the time he did with us was because my mom is a supermom. She did it all and made life flow easily. She encouraged my dad to be a dad to us girls and that meant not always getting her due. It definitely was a team effort with those two.

So happy father's day to those who wear the title dad so proudly. Your calling is among the highest there are. Don't give up on the bad days and be encouraged on the good days. As my dad says a lot, "Finish strong!!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very sweet. I second all that about Dad.

Anonymous said...

you forgot to mention those occasions when his s.f. giants lose and he throws the books he was reading to haley and sends her into the bathroom crying.