Thursday, July 12, 2007

Super Size Me

While the movie “Super Size Me,” has had an impression on people across the country, I would submit that it is disturbing that we needed a documentary to remind us that the food we are eating is actually killing us. It really doesn’t take much of an IQ to realize that fried and processed foods may taste better, but no one actually feels good after eating them. I found the movie to be an arduous account of the obvious. It was interesting, at first, to see the down hill spiral of health, the steady incline of weight and cholesterol, and the general malaise of the main character directly related to his food consumption. However, it soon became frustrating as the point continued to be made. I appreciated the added commentaries on junk food in America and was deeply disturbed by the lack of consideration being given to students when presenting their lunch choices. The interviews done with food professionals and advertisers were really enlightening. I never really stopped to consider the fact that kids really are bombarded from all sides regarding the types of food they eat. They are not just bombarded, but they are purposeful targets. That is disheartening when admittedly those putting forth these advertisements say they are part of the “obesity” problem in America. How is it that we are part of a society that actually and literally puts the value of a dollar ahead of the preservation of the health of our citizens and our young people? A documentary should be done on the possible outcomes of a society so money hungry that they forget to preserve even themselves. Forget global warming and other debatable topics, and tackle the big issue of “We are Killing Ourselves…one Processed Food Item at a Time.”
My family, unfortunately, eats out quite a bit. The excuses are long, but we are busy is the main one. Driving through someplace and eating on the way is a “kill two birds with one stone,” type of attitude for us. I pride myself though on staying away from hamburger places and driving through the much healthier alternative (read with strong sarcasm) Del Taco or The Hat. This film has definitely made me more concerned about what I am doing to my little girls. (Cue triumphant music here) It’s probably too late for me, the damage is done, but my kids still have a fighting chance at a healthy life style and I have to be the person who exemplifies this healthier life style. (Sigh) The reality is, I will do my best to be better prepared for meals on the run…but sometimes (hanging my head in defeat) it’s the only alternative to not eating at all. I want to do better and I think a realistic goal would be to only allow fast food one day a week as opposed to our normal 20 times.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm going to have to see that movie.
It is quite delightful, though, to listen to, and read, the "fast food queen" talk negatively about what was once very nearly the love of her life. I hope to learn lots more!

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry i couldn't quite make it all the way through this blog (only because i am in a hurry). ;)

your faithful blog replier's favorite word is delightful isn't it?

Jenn said...

I thought it might be too long for you JRS. I appreciate the effort though.

By the way...do you want to come to an Arbonne event at my home. Bring a guest...maybe Michelle or Mom.

Sooo funny...always making jokes.

Anonymous said...

I think that is the very first time I have used the word "delightful". I did think about NOT using it because of commenters like JRS, but I couldn't put it any other way. Yo Mama!