Thursday, July 12, 2007

I know Two in One Day is too much Jenn

I was just sitting here thinking. I don't think enough accolades are given to fresh grown tomatoes. I just really love these things.

Now that I am taking a nutrition class I have become very interested in the food I eat and the food I serve my children. While the meals around home (I am not addressing in this blog the amount of times we eat out) tend to be pretty healthy (with the occassional mac-n-cheese and chicken nuggets thrown in) and the activity level around here is a constant I am concerned about the 13 pounds of baby weight I can't seem to shake. So I am doing an experiment. Join me if you'd like. Instead of just eating when it is meal time, I am eating nutrient dense snacks whenever I am hungry. I am active and hungry most of the time. But because of my upbringing, rarely snack. So i have started cutting up tomatoes to snack on all day along with a handful of almonds or peanuts. I'm finding I eat about every 2 hours, but I am a lot more delightful to be around and I don't feel starved by the time the meal comes. The goal is not necessarily to lose weight as much as it is to lose that unsightly half-spare tire that hangs out very conspicuously along the back side of my hips. That's where the fat likes to hang out and it's difficult to exercise that particular area.

I thought about including a before picture and following it up with an after picture in 3 months or so. But no one is getting a look at these "love" handles...NO ONE!!! Please feel free to post suggestions or other comments relating to this new endeavor. However, if you just want to give a shout out to home-grown tomatoes, then do that too.

By the way JRS....how are those cages?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurray! for home-grown tomatoes!! I, actually, bought a plant this year and just recently planted it in the ground. I'm very excited about growing real tomatoes! I really took Mom's garden for granted. Should I talk to JRS about caging tomato plants? It sounds like she has some good experience.

I, recently, read that eating avocados with tomatoes helps your body to absorb the nutrient lychopene, which is very good for you. I love the two together! I wish good avocados were easier (cheaper)to get up here.

I wish you well with that new snack endeavor.

It's always good to read new blogs.
Now, I've got to go take a nap.

Anonymous said...

OK -- I might have missed something and I am not going to post this -- but will be interested if someone else flags this -- ()

Entry -- Tomatoes - Quote
"While the meals around here tend to be pretty healthy (with the occasional mac-n-cheese and chicken nuggets thrown in)"


Entry - Supersize Me - Quotes
"My family, unfortunately, eats out quite a bit."
" I want to do better and I think a realistic goal would be to only allow fast food one day a week as opposed to our normal 20 times."



OK -- uhhh, which one is it???

Anonymous said...

did you know that corn is bad for you?



the cages are not holding my tomato plants up and they are ripping my arms and my tomatoes when i decide to harvest them. if you only knew the time and effort me and someone who will remain nameless went to to build those mothers.

Jenn said...

ha ha get it mothers...wishes to remain nameless...good one jrs...good one

Anonymous said...

I don't think corn is bad for you.
There are many by-products of corn that could be bad, like corn syrup. But I don't think the vegetable, corn, by itself, is bad for you. What do you think, oh wise nutrition class student?