Tuesday, November 13, 2007

This never happens to me

Well as some of you may or may not know, we finally purchased a replacement van for the total loss of our other van. We bought a 2005 Honda Odyssey very similar in color, but quite a bit nicer in options. However, since driving it for one week we have already encountered some problems. The dealer from whom we bought it of course gave us 1000 miles or one month to bring it back if anything did go wrong.

I don't know if this kind of stuff happens to you, but usually when I take my car in with some kind of noise or problem it seems to be on its best behavior for the mechanic. It's like the car knows that these people have the capacity to inflict all sorts of discomforts to its well being. It's similar to taking kids to the doctor who suddenly feel better because the word "shot" is mentioned. The conversation with the mechanic usually goes like this:

Me: Hi, um it seems like when I am driving my car it gets stuck between 2 and 3 gear and my engine revs up to 6 and 7,000 rpms. It usually occurs when I am trying to pick up speed like on an on ramp or accelerating from a green light. I did some research and found that this particular model has been having some transmission issues so I thought I would bring it in before I became stranded with three kids in a remote area.

Mechanic: Ok, lets take it for a drive.

Car: Oh no, I better do my best here. I can keep it together for one test drive. Ok shift calmly, ohhh it hurts, but I can do it. (Drives perfectly as if it came right off the new car lot)

Me: Ummm...its weird, it does it every time I drive.

Mechanic: (rolling his eyes) Ok, well let us keep it for a week and see if it acts up for us

Me: Can't you just assume it is the transmission and look into that?

Mechanic: Uh, no. It actually has to act up for us or we think you are just making stuff up.

Me: Ok, that makes sense. I do have a serious problem with wanting to be car less and waste endless hours at a dealer waiting for them to charge me $2000 to fix whatever is wrong. Thank you for recognizing this defect in me. And, again, I am sorry for wasting your time.

Mechanic: (pats me on the head and sends me on my way)

Then months later the car actually breaks down and I am no where near a dealer and my cell phone is out of battery. (The mechanic then confirms that there is something wrong with my transmission...etc...etc...money exchange...etc.)

BUT TODAY LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.......
Me: Hi, um my drivers side automatic sliding door gets stuck sometimes when I am trying to open it.

Mechanic: Ok, let's see it.

Car: ...trying to open sliding door...trying...beeping..trying...just can't do it...just can't do it

Mechanic: You're right. You really know things about cars. Usually people come in and tell us something is wrong and we can tell they are making it up just to get attention and hang out at our facility. Thank you for actually knowing what you are talking about.

Me: ....uh.....don't know how to respond....need to argue or fight or get frustrated to feel like my trip to the dealer is worth while....uh....just give me a minute

Mechanic: We'll call you and let you know our progress by noon. You are our favorite customer.

So, this is a very good thing that happened today. I will keep you posted on the exciting adventures or our "new" van.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool! That's great to hear! So, what's your secret? Are you doing something different to get all these breaks? Or is it just time for a little grace in Jenn's life?

Jessica said...

glad that car is getting into tip top shape :)

Jodie said...

And how low cut was the blouse you were wearing?!?!