Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Here is Something I am Realizing

Friendship is really important to me. I am starting to wonder if it is too important to me, or more important to me than it is to the people I call friends. I am very thankful for my friends. In fact, my really good friends are the ones that know the worst about me and still return my calls (or e-mails). There are those people who I still call friend, who I am pretty sure no longer call me friend. (That is sad). These kind of things make me wonder about my personality flaws that maybe I am unaware of. Sometimes I talk too much...this is true. I think I may be annoying sometimes too. I'm not sure why I'm thinking about this stuff on such a beautiful rainy morning...but I thought I'd share.

I am done with my Christmas shopping. Now the drudgery begins of wrapping. I really loathe wrapping presents. There are probably many of you who have received gifts from me, still in the shopping bag from which it came. I probably hate wrapping because I am not good at it at all. My sister Julie is a pro. You would not believe that she doesn't do it for a living if you ever receive a gift from her. The corners lay flat; the tape is symmetrical on all of the seams; it is a work of art every time. When I wrap gifts I get comments like, "Oh you let Courtney help you wrap." or "Nice try Jenn, nice try." Or "I guess we can't save this wrapping paper for use next year." Truthfully, I just don't have the patience to wrap presents well. It is a time consuming, tedious event, that just never fits well into my schedule. It seems I can never find all the materials at once. Usually the item I am missing is a pair of ADULT scissors. So after turning the house upside down looking for one of the three pairs I have, I resort to using the kids crayola brand plastic scissors. So my would be straight edge turns into a zig-zag fringed edge. Since my kids love to tape things everywhere, the must have item of scotch tape is also elusive. Because of this I have to get creative and use a glue stick or black electric tape (i think my brother-in-law Rich, has a supply of this just in case). I have to wait for the kids to be asleep for another thing, and by the time that time rolls around, I am ready to stare mindlessly at the TV. I have had all of my gifts bought for 1 week now and not one of them is wrapped yet. I even bought nice, new wrapping paper this year, know exactly where the scissors are (in with the toothbrushes of course) and have horded two rolls of scotch tape for just such an occasion. So with all my excuses gone I still have not wrapped a single gift. Instead I am sitting here blogging, which I find very cathartic and much easier on my mental stamina.

Two good things that have happened:
1. I actually went out on a date with my husband. We met two friends we hadn't seen in a long time and had dinner. One was Steve's room mate, John, from college and it is always fun for me to see Steve interact with people that are like him and just enjoy being around him. They had a great time debating and challenging each other's concept of who God is. John's wife Laurie is one of the most genuinely nice people I know. She is the type that you can go months without having contact with and then get together and it is like no time has passed.

2. I saw the movie I am Legend. I mention this as good, because it has been a long time since I have seen a grown-up movie. The movie itself was definitely riveting, but.... Well it was a grown up movie so you will get no complaints here.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Sorry ol' friend. Check your inbox.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am just the opposite of you, big sis'! I hate the shopping part, but LOVE the wrapping part. In fact, today, I started wrapping presents while I was teaching Maggie. I thoroughly enjoyed it! We need to get together on this. You made a very good point about me wrapping gifts for a living. That's a great idea that I may take seriously one day when I'll have to get a job and start making money, again!

Anonymous said...

Friendship is important but you can't make people like you the way you want them too. People, like me, who really know you, know how great you are (great Christian, great mother, great daughter, great sense of humor, etc.). Try not to worry about it. Sometimes it's hard, I know.
I think you inherited my wrapping ability; too bad. You can change this though with a little patience.

Anonymous said...

cathartic...what does that mean?