Friday, December 7, 2007

Things that Are Not Fair

Don't worry, I will still include two good things on this blog, but I need to express some concerns about how life sometimes plays out.

As I sit here writing, I am very well aware of the fact that I should go back to bed and rest. You see, I am sick. Sore throat, head ache, body aches, stomach ache, nausea...you know all the fun stuff. I would still be in bed, except for the fact that one of life's certainties is that if I get sick, one or more of my offspring will get equally sick.

As I was trying to find a comfortable spot in my bed this morning as my fever racked body tried to get warm, I hear, "Mom...." I of course ignore it because...well, I'm tired. Then I hear a more desperate "Mom...." To which Steve yells a loving, "Go to sleep. Leave your mom alone." Then I hear the dreaded words, "Mom...I'm throwing up." Music to my ears....a tune that I wish I could play over and over. So I immediately forgot about the sickness ravaging my body and jump up to thwart any additional messes caused from the inside contents of my child's stomach. As I quickly move to her room, the fact that I sprung out of bed so quickly does something exciting and new to my blood pressure and I crashed into the door jam of said child's room. Ouch. But I still persevered toward the goal of comforting and cleaning my child. Of course when I get in the room there are small pieces of toys awaiting to pierce my bare feet, but I am oblivious to that pain since my shoulder is mirroring the throbbing pain going on in my head. The smell I am accosted with sends me immediately into my own rendition of "dry heaving." That's when I see my poor little Kayci Bean, doubled over, hair matted to her pale little face, crying, and asking if I can hold her. I of course ask the obvious question, "Where did you throw up?" She sniffs and says, "All over the place." In the dim of the room I try to locate the said throw up by gently patting the blanket. My first hand placement is right into a pile of warm squishiness. Yes, I said WARM SQUISHINESS. (I will pause here for those of you with weak stomachs).

Musical interlude..."It's the most, wonderful time, of the year.... with kids getting sick and the parents are ticked, it will be a great time....it's the most wonderful time of the year.

So while I am cleaning up the digested contents of my middle daughter, my sweet Courtney says very impatiently, "Mom, can you get me breakfast..." Kayci says, "I'm hungry...." So after dizzily starting a very stinky load of laundry I get Courtney her breakfast...of course made her way. I give Kayci a banana and toast (Why, you may ask? She just threw up. Her stomach obviously doesn't want anything in her tummy. Well, I'm just not that smart.) So I give her a banana and toast and within 5 minutes she throws up again all over the couch. She did get some of it in a bowl I gave her, but most of it...not so much.

So now Kayci is snuggled up on the couch, watching the latest episode of Magic School Bus. Courtney is fed, snuggled up on the other end of the couch, waiting for her turn with the vile virus called the flu. I haven't heard too much from Haley this morning. Hopefully she is still sleeping. I sit at this computer expressing my frustration at how unfair it is that I have to be sick at the same time my kids are. Because truthfully, I don't feel like taking care of anyone right now. I want to stay in my pajamas all day and drink tea and read/sleep. Doesn't it sound wonderful? But alas, it is not to be. I have a friend who was just recently sick and he got to spend two glorious days in bed. Now I am sorry, of course, that he was sick, but I actually hate him just a little, because he really doesn't know how lucky he is to have been able to sleep off his illness in uninterrupted bliss.

So onto my two good things:
1. I had an amazing time with my college friends this past weekend. We haven't seen each other in a year, but as always it is like no time has passed. They are some of the most fun people I know. We laughed and laughed. I am so thankful to have friends that I can just be me with and not worry about anything at all.

2. Our dog Faith had her adoption/birthday celebration yesterday. I am so glad we have her. I am so glad she has not jumped the fence once. And I am so thankful that she is alive.

Uh oh....Haley is calling.

Nope...false alarm, Kayci is throwing up again.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I must say I wish I could have babysat for you last night - and maybe participated in the barf fest!
All jokes aside - I hope that you feel better, and that your girls get better as well. I hope to see you before I head home (next Saturday)

Jodie said...

It could always be worse--the hubby could be sick, too....

Anonymous said...

As usual, little sister is copying big sister...a couple of days ago Maggie threw up all morning long. Every time, though, she got it in either the toilet or the giant tupperware bowl I gave her. She is really good at that, thank goodness (sorry, I don't mean to be throwing that in your face). About lunch time I asked her if she was ready to try eating, since she had been sleeping on and off and not throwing up much anymore. Every five minutes I gave her a sip of water and a tiny bite of a saltine until we decided her stomach was okay. After some soup (tomato AND chicken noodle), I could tell she was definitely feeling better by the way she talked non-stop for the rest of the day. It was unbelievable and very funny!