Friday, January 25, 2008

You can blame it all on tennis

I know it has been a long time. It's not that I haven't had things to write. There have been plenty of BM's (bloggable moments) lately, but the Australian Open has been on. Therefore, my writing is put off by my furious note taking on how these professional tennis players are always in the right place at the right time on the court. They make it look so easy. I love listening to the interviews and the "signature shot" descriptions of each player. If just watching and learning made one a good player, I would be well on my way. One thing I am finally getting through my skull, though, is it doesn't matter how well my partner and I play, if people are going to cheat at key points in the game...I am going to fall apart. Every time. I lose it. I'm not proud of myself. I'm not sure why my partner sticks with me. It's not a complete melt down. I don't throw my racket or cuss or yell, but I turn so inward that an actual war takes place in my brain. Most people, with the exception of my partner, don't even know it is happening. However, there is a lot of yelling and screaming going on in my brain; name calling, evil thoughts, etc. The problem is, it is so loud in my brain , it is hard to hear the rational voice that tells me how to play this silly game. Those of you who know tennis know how important concentration is. If you can't concentrate, you can't play. So that's what happens to me. I'm ashamed of myself and seriously consider not playing anymore every time this happens. There is a mental component to my game seriously missing. My sense of justice is so violated. I know life is not fair. But tennis should be!! The pros don't really have to worry about it. But those of us who are stuck playing park tennis must learn that there are evil people who cheat, and there isn't a thing that can be done about it. The saying goes, "cheaters never prosper." However, if a cheater is playing me, she will always prosper. I will declare on this blog for all to see that I am really going to make a bigger effort to work on that part of my game. Tana, I hope you can put up with me one more day.

Two good things: I love that I get to play tennis to stay in shape. It is amazing to be on the court on a beautiful sunny day, having fun with my friends with snow covered mountains in the background. I really have nothing to complain about.

I saw the movie Transformers and loved it. Wow! What a great movie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We liked transformers, too!

Yeah, up here in the Northwest, you can't really play tennis year- round...maybe the short three-four months of summer...if you can find a court worth playing on...Richard thinks we should join a club.

Jodie said...

Not really a tennis player, I offer only this sage piece of advice. When the cheaters cheat, this is what you do. You concentrate on smashing the heck out of that ball. Not the act of cheating. You may not win, but hey--maybe the gods will be on your side and said smashed ball will "accidentally" hit cheater in the face really hard and create a semi-permanent reminder of treacherous act of cheating. It could work--no?

Hope the kiddies are feeling better!