Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Things I thought I wouldn't Have to Teach

As a mother, there are things that I have assumed that I will be called upon to teach the offspring that have been entrusted to me for these 18 years. Manners, getting dressed, showering, going potty on the big potty, math, reading, feeding themselves, driving, just to name a few of the things I was ready to teach. Some things I thought would be self explanatory, a sort of non issue. However, now that I think about it, just because it is obvious to me that you don't do certain things, doesn't mean, by being born from my body, that my children would know that certain things are inappropriate behavior.

I was faced with one such occurrence recently. I may have gone through life blissfully ignorant that this had occurred, but my good friend Joy knew I would want to remember this for all time. (Also, I think she may have been deciding if she should press charges for the molestation she had just experienced at the hands of my youngest child.)

Here are the events as I understand them: Courtney, being innately cute and huggable went to give Joy, also innately cute and huggable a Sunday morning hug. However, somehow my daughter's hand became pinned against Joy's chest. Now here is where the lack of parenting came in on my part. I never told Courtney that when you find your hands in an awkward position like she found herself, you should never squeeze. NEVER, NEVER squeeze. I have learned a very significant lesson here. There are some social graces that are not obvious to kids.

Please, Joy, don't turn my daughter in. She knows the right behavior now. She is in counseling and I think her adult-phile tendencies are being squelched at a young age.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While I have decided not to press charges you may want to have the same talk with Kayci. She and I have had two awkward hugging/shoving matches. Kids just aren't "spacially" aware. I dread the day you seek me out at church to inform me of my sweet, little, innocent Neil's awkward hand placement. He's even shorter than your girls. Just think of where that puts his hands! Oh, man....I gotta go talk to Neil right now....