Monday, October 20, 2008

Disgusting

I don't get grossed out very easily. In fact, I recently had surgery on the back of my leg and had the surgeon talk me through everything she was doing. I even asked to see the growth she removed after it was all over. I don't mind blood, I've cleaned up my share of vomit, poop, urine, and other bodily fluids. I enjoy shows like House and CSI because they show the cause of death or illness in detail.

However, today, I met my match. I am hurridly trying to write this blog, because I am seriously going to get rid of my breakfast when I am done.

Today, marks the day in history, when I gave up coffee. (I gave up alcohol in June...that story remains to be written...let's just say the name "Martini Merrick" fits.) But today, Oct 20, 2008, while laughing at Sarah Palin's skits on Saturday Night Live, enjoying a cup of coffee, perfectly flavored with my favorite hazlenut cream, I came to the bottom of the cup of morning gold, and found....a dead fly. Yes, a dead fly flavored, what I thought was, an extraordinarily good cup of coffee. What kind of hurried person doesn't even have time to look in her coffee mug before filling it with her inspiration for the day? I guess that would be me.

I really cannot talk about this any longer. My day is ruined. My mornings are ruined from now on. What do I have to look forward to if not my morning cup of coffee, saturated with cream, forever marred by the giant fly, that probably stopped on Faith's poop before flying to its death in my coffee cup.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well not to make things worse, but how long have you had that dog? Yeah, I'm pretty sure you have ingested more of Faith's poop particles simply by breathing in the last 5 years than you did from the fly's feet this morning. So THAT should not be the issue. In fact, I think you are giving up too easily. If you stop drinking coffee, then you are just letting the fly win. You are stronger than that. You need to get back in the saddle. Don't let that big nasty fly ruin YOUR life for his own game. You are better than him. So go make yourself another cup of coffee and relish in your strength, immune system, and triumph over the fly. Just check the cup first.

Anonymous said...

Oooooo, that's gross! I think your bones will thank you if you DO quit coffee, and your teeth, too!

Jodie said...

Yes, check the cup from here on out. I'm sure that since that particular fly is now dead, you definitely won't find him in your cup ever again....

Oh...and you need to watch Fringe. It is seriously disgusting-like with body parts and things....

Anonymous said...

I don't think you really have to worry about ingesting some kind of deadly disease from the fly at the bottom of your cup. If you make coffee like me, the acid in the brew was strong enough to cancel out anything that the fly may have encountered in the last 60 minutes of his life. Instead you should sit back and enjoy the thought that this fly died a wonderfully, sweet, hazelnut death. I hope that's the way I go. Floating and eventually sinking, in a warm cup of hazelnut goodness. Don't give up on coffee just yet. Think of the extra fiber you got that morning. See, it's all in how you look at it.

However, it would gross me out too see a huge fly in the bottom of my cup. Go ahead and be grossed out by that. But like Joy said, don't let the fly win.

Anonymous said...

This made me laugh...I am the same with flies..they feed on poop and them contaminate the whole household when they get in somehow! Sorry you finished your whole cup of coffee...loving your blog Jen x

WakeGrace said...

i would just say thank God you didnt drink the fly! whats worse? seeing the fly on the bottom of your cup? OR feeling the fly as it swirls aorund in your mouth?