Friday, February 13, 2009

Blame it on LOST

My favorite blogger Jodie introduced me to Lost, the series I thought would be so boring and was never interested in. The day she introduced me to that series, was during the week of my last blog. So I blame my lack of blog participation on LOST, actually on Jodie. I love how on her site she has my site bookmarked and it says, "Last Updated, 5 weeks ago." I know I'm a slacker, but now everyone that reads her stellar, always current site, knows the type of people with whom she keeps company.

I stay pretty current on my Facebook addiction. It struck me today, though, how really low my self esteem actually is. I am nervous, every time I ask someone to be my friend. It reminds me of being a kid and running excitedly up to a group playing on the playground and asking if I can play too. Then there is that brief moment of time while the kids were deciding that my dignity and playground social status were on the line. Will they let me play or will they run off because I have cooties of some sort. Now as an adult, on Facebook, these fears have turned into MUCH more mature thoughts like, "What if they don't remember me," or "What if they were so relieved to get away from me and now I have found them again," or "What if I offended this person in someway, that's why we lost touch and I just can't remember..." I am pleasantly surprised and relieved when someone accepts my friendship request. But until they do....I toss and turn. I feel like I need to send some kind of thank you response. You may have received one from me that went something like this: "Thanks for remembering me. Thanks for validating me as a person and being my friend albeit as superficial as we can get. " I actually accepted the friend request of someone who absolutely tortured me my entire 8th grade year. She made everyday 6th period art, my first year in California horrible. She teased me, laughed when her friends threatened to beat me up, and....well it was the laughing that sticks out the most to me. I was so self conscious and miserable because of her and her friends. Yet, I accepted her as a friend. I don't think we spoke once in high school, so she must not remember. I didn't feel like I could be so cruel as to reject her proposal as friend. We've all changed. We've all grown a little. And we all deserve second chances. (I will not tell you who this person is...I'm sure she doesn't read this blog.) Soapbox Diva, I'm pretty sure you could figure it out. Three Winks...you may remember my fear of this girl.

Facebook has been fun though. I've reconnected with people who have brought a lot of happiness to my life in the past. It is highly addictive and a huge time waster, but until I have more friends than my anti-social husband I will continue to request friendships from anyone who seems even a little familiar.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say--you have the cutest blog on the block! Wherever do you get such good ideas--is that also something on which we can blame the stellar blogger gal? I'll bet she's a raging democratic lib, too! Geesh--who are YOU keeping company with?

Jenny said...

I can't remember who the Art Class Torturer is. What were her initials? Where does she live? I'll go burn her house down RIGHT NOW!

Let's not forget I didn't invite you to my 14th birthday party, so put me on the list of people who have nurtured your fear of rejection. And, I'm terrible at calling and keeping up with you personally, so I just lurk anonymously. Does that feed the fear monster as well?

--Forever, your Diana

Artie said...

I don't remember either Jen...because I am a self centered, self involved ass who doesn't remember anything that didn't happen to myself.
so give me a hint too.
in Jr. High, I was very tortured and terrified myself. I will happily name the names of the people that tortured me.LOL they are not only not on facebook in our realm, I don't even know if they are literate or still living. But princess kelly, miss priss ballet barbie girl, who probably appeared to some to be confident and sassy, lived in constant terror in Jr. High. You remember my black suicidal poetry? Nathan Lacey yelled at me once for wanting to die. And I was pretty sure I meant it. Lisa McDonald had to meet me at the front of the school and walk me to class because I was so scared. I had headless barbies on my locker. I was corned ALONE in the PARK by 3 of them and they had spiked skull rings and matching hair. I am not a big enough person to say I've forgiven them. But that time colored the entire person that I am today. and for that I can't be regretful really (I rather like that I am a mouthy bitch who always says what she wants and thinks and who adamantly will not be trod upon ever ever again). Those experiences taught me to stand up for myself, finally. They taught me to be stronger, and unafraid, and created the monster of me that we all now know. LOL
so that is part of the reason am unaware of the individual of whom you speak...I was in my own little hell in Jr. Hi (hence my name changes to Belinda and Marti LOL)

and regarding Jenny's birthday thing...you know I think everyone has hurt everyone at some point. Its inevitable and human.

furthermore, I am so giddy that I am mentioned by name in your blog. eeeeeeee! =)

Camille said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Camille said...

Someone today called it "Crackbook" because of it's addictive nature. Haha - I have to agree! Well, at least we can kind of identify with our kids' candy addiction (I remember you saying once that candy to kids is like crack to adults - they'll steal, lie, and do all kinds of crazy things for candy that they wouldn't do otherwise - you should blog about that!) Let's just hope our Facebook addiction doesn't lead us down the same scary road...