Monday, March 3, 2008

The Butterfinger Story


My husband is a funny guy. Most people don't know this side of him, but he really is one of the funniest people I know. I guess it is because he is not always funny that his humor still makes me laugh side-splittingly hard after 15 years of being together. Haley was the recipient of one of his well calculated and perfectly timed jokes.


Now that Haley receives her own allowance, every once in awhile she elects to buy herself a candy bar. I often struggle with this. I think since it is her money she should be able to purchase what she chooses within reason. However, I am not a big fan of the amount of candy these kids would eat left to their own decision making abilities. So in spite of this inner conflict I allowed her to purchase a Butterfinger candy bar from Target. Now, while her money saving abilities may be a little underdeveloped at this point, her candy hoarding abilities are top of the line. She gleefully flaunted to her sisters and dad that she had her own candy bar. Of course Kayci and Courtney both cried that it wasn't fair and they wanted some candy, but I responded with it is her money and it is her candy bar. Haley carefully hid her candy bar and mistakenly announced to everyone that she had hidden it. Hourly and daily, she would announce that her candy bar was still intact and still hidden from the rest of the family. This is when Steve's mind started formulating the joke of Haley's lifetime. I'm not sure exactly how many days Steve waited, but his timing was perfect. Haley still had not eaten her candy bar or revealed her secret hiding place. I didn't even know where she was keeping this sweet treasure of chocolate. While I was quizzing Haley on her times tables, Steve walked in casually with a Butterfinger. The same size of Haley's precious purchase. He stood right in front of her eating it. He exclaimed, "I found your candy bar!!" Haley at first started to laugh, as did I, because we both thought that Daddy would not be so mean. But as time wore on and the candy bar disappeared the thought crossed both of our minds that, yes, he would do it if he really wanted it...he'd replace it...but he would eat it. So Haley's laughter became mixed with tears. She was still laughing and smiling, but tears were coming out of her eyes. That's when Steve thought the joke had gone far enough and admitted to going to the store just to get a candy bar to trick Haley. Oh the look on her face was priceless and the laughter that spilled out of both Steve and Haley was just precious. To get Steve to laugh his real laugh is a rare occurrence, but this day we got to hear it. As I write this you may be thinking that we are cruel, cruel parents to think that this kind of joke is funny to play on an 8 year old...


Then yes, I guess we are cruel...because it was VERY FUNNY.


Two good things that happened:

1. I finally got the front and back yard mowed.

2. My parents came to watch the girls last Thursday and then played tennis with me and a new friend. I'm so glad to have parents who still want to hang out with me.

2 comments:

Jodie said...

Heh, heh! A new way to subject the children to cruel and unusual punishment! I like it!

Anonymous said...

Imagine IFF Jenn and Steve were parents. Would they be 1. Spoilers, 2. Pushovers, 3. Spare the rod-spoil the child 4. Dobson's consultants, 5. Cruel and sadistic practical jokers.