Tuesday, February 17, 2009

What is a Phonograph?

Haley just yelled from the other room "What is a phonograph?"

I responded with, "It's another word for Record."

She of course continued the yelling and said, "What is a record?"

"Um," I yelled, "It's like a CD, but it is really big and you get sound out of it by placing a really fine needle on it and a record player spins it really fast. It's made out of vinyl and you have to be really careful not to scratch it. It's how we used to listen to music when I was a kid."

I waited for her response.Thinking that I had done a very thorough and comprehensive summary of the topic. At least warranting a resounding, "Wow mom, you know something about everything and you always explain everything so clearly!!" No response. Thinking that she must be bound and gagged in her room, I got up to check on her. She had apparently moved on to something else on her crossword puzzle. Yes, my 9 year old is working a crossword puzzle. And yes, she has already mastered the art of tuning me right out.

1 comment:

Artie said...

I like your new blog format/template better than my new blog template. mine is buggy.
Yours is neato.

I thought your explanation of a phonograph was pretty awesome. the fact that she got quiet probably means that she was satisfied with the answer and free to pursue her other items of interest. right?

OR she's going to be a really textbook teenager. =)