Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Alone in the house

Well after a series of kind of strange and interesting circumstances, I find myself alone in the house this afternoon. It wasn't something I had planned, but it has worked out that way. As Steve and the kids were leaving, Steve asked, "What are you going to do here all by yourself." And that's when it hit me, I am going to be here by myself for an extended period of time. All by myself. I remind myself of the guy from The Twilight Zone episode, "Time Enough at Last." After a lifetime of being thwarted at every turn when it came to reading, he finds himself completely alone with no one to tell him he can't read. He begins organizing the books in the library into months to be read. He is so excited to have "Time Enough at Last," to read every book he wants. Then the unfortunate happens. He stumbles, drops his coke-bottle like glasses, and can no longer see. The show at this point ends. I empathize with his plight only because here I have been given a great gift of time alone, and I can't think of one thing that I really need to do. I am wasting my time sitting here at this computer instead of accomplishing things that I always wish I could accomplish...if it weren't for the kids. Sure, there is cleaning that can be done, the lawn always needs work, but I am so overwhelmed with this gift all I can think to do is write and share my joy and confusion it seems.

Haley learned the word hypocrite in church last Sunday and decided to use it on me today. She said that I am being a hypocrite. The reason behind this bold accusation is that I don't let her watch certain shows with questionable content, yet I will watch episodes of Friends while folding clothes. She knows this show has questionable if not Amoral content, so therefore I am a hypocrite. Steve is trying to explain that one can be hypocritical without being a hypocrite per se. Thanks honey for the support.

It's really quiet here. I can hear birds chirping and no kids arguing. It's weird. This is what it would be like to have my kids in school during the day. Interesting thought. I could either get a lot done, or I could sit here all day and write. Hmmm.

What to do? What to do?

2 comments:

Jodie said...

Sit there all day long and write. Definitely.

Anonymous said...

What did you end up doing? i got to LEAVE my computer to go play with your kids on the playground for a little bit. actually, it was more like rescuing them from spinning toys before they threw up. P.s. I like that you've posted a new one every day for a few days :). I check your site religiously. It's in my bookmarks.