Thursday, April 10, 2008

Jelly Beans and other dishonesties

Courtney is entering a new and not so endearing phase in her life. She is 4 and 1/2 and is pretty certain that anything she says and does is cute because she is the baby. Sadly, up until age 4 this has been true. She is and has been the most joyful child to ever be birthed in Southern California. I'm pretty certain she came out of the womb smiling. I distinctly remember her smiling while she was crying when she was an infant. She just couldn't help it. Back when she was "Nee-Nee" or "Not-Nee" she could do no wrong. But we all know, all good things must come to an end. While she is still a very happy little girl, there has now come some deceptiveness behind those dimples and eye of blue. It is sad. But in someways very funny. I have to admit, this is not new. All three of my children now have entered this phase of deceptiveness, so I will take a deep breath and say...this too shall pass. (Or at least the lying and stealing will become harder to detect.)

The first incident happened while she was being babysat by an old college friend who also has a daughter Courtney's age. Allegedly, Courtney discovered Claire's stash of jelly beans from the Easter festivities. There were 11. Courtney was told specifically not to take them because they were not hers. Courtney, being the mental giant that she is, took 10 and left one behind. I guess in her little mind, leaving one behind meant she didn't take all of them and that wasn't a crime...really. She even said, when confronted, "Claire needs to learn to share." We had a very stern talk about stealing and how wrong it is no matter how much you want something. I think I got the message across because she looked at me very seriously, trying to smile, with a ever so slightly quivering chin and said, "But you're not going to call the police right mama?" Being the loving parent I am I said, "Not this time, but if you steal MY stuff, I will." I think she learned her lesson.

I like to tell the kids funny stories about when they were babies. Things I know they don't remember and things I'm certain I will forget if I don't pass them on to the little sponges that are my kids minds. They love hearing the stories and often ask me to tell them their own personal stories. Courtney, however, has added a new dimension. She makes up her own. Seriously. None of my kids have gone this far. She likes the stories so much, she has added her own versions. Just this morning, I said "I'm so glad you're my baby." She responded with,

Courtney: Remember when I was a baby and you tried to take my blanket and I said Wah, Wah?
ME: Um, no Courtney I don't remember that at all.
Courtney: Remember when I was a baby and you left me at home and took the other sisters somewhere and I was mad?
ME: Um, no Courtney...If I left you...I left the sisters too. And I probably had good reason.
Courtney: Remember when you buyed me from the hospital and you didn't have any money?
ME: Oh, yes. They wanted exact change and I had forgotten my wallet. You remember that huh? That other family almost got to take you home.

I don't know where she gets these. But as soon as I tell her something isn't true, she is quick to point out that she doesn't lie because then she'll get a spanking. The message is not getting all the way through.

Case in point...as I write...my precious third born just asked me to help her with her shoes. As I was putting her shoes on, I asked if she had brushed her teeth. She gave me a cautious toned (which means she is lying) "yes." I just looked at her with those I-know-you-are-lying-eyes. And she said, "Why are you staring at me mom?"


"Is this the little girl I carried?....Is this the little girl.....Sunrise...Sunset."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aluguel de Computadores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aluguel-de-computadores.blogspot.com. A hug.