Friday, April 4, 2008

Trip to Oregon

My mother was a super hero, because she basically drove the entire 14 hours all by herself. I hate to drive. I have always hated driving. It began back when I got my big Pontiac Safari Station Wagon stuck on a safety pole in a Taco Bell drive through. I have not wanted to drive since. Then factor in our recent car accident, and the fact that 85% of the time in Southern California there is traffic, and you get me going way beyond hating driving. I loathe it. My mother, on the other hand, prefers to drive. We make a good combination in that regard.

My kids were amazing on the 14 hour trip to Oregon. They barely complained. We only had to watch two videos in 14 hours. The rest of the time they slept, read, colored, ate snacks, and basically entertained themselves. I was so impressed with my offspring.

My dad brought along some great knock-knock jokes that kept us all asking for more. My dad has such a great way of delivering every joke that it's funny even when I don't "get it."

The trip went pretty fast too. Once we got there we had the joy of another"Seymour Surprise." JRG only thought I was coming....much to her relief I soon discovered...I brought along mom and dad too. She suspected they were coming, but she wasn't sure. I dropped them off at the entrance to her neighborhood, pulled up in front of her house, and then she saw them walking up the street to her house. It was lots of fun. Then to add to the "Seymour Surprise," a couple of days later JRS flew in. So the whole original Seymour clan was together. It was a lot of fun. My family knows how to have fun together. Sure, in some ways we have to keep our relationships superficial because we have some deep seeded issues, but for the most part we love to play together and laugh together. I know families who go years without talking to each other. Not us. We are as close as we've ever been and they are the greatest support system in my life. I am very thankful.

No comments: