Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Conversation with Courtney


My five year old could keep this blog going daily, but I am pulled in so many different directions, that finding time to record it all is just something I can't do. I have one friend, fellow blogger Jodie, who, as I have shared before, does it all AND keeps a daily record of her children and their shenanigans. I, being only a type B+ at best, am doing a mediocre job keeping up on the happenings of my children, but this had to be recorded, because I know I will forget this precious conversation.

I was tucking Courtney in for bed at my mom and dad's house. She said she was scared. She usually shares a room with big sister Kayci, but Kayci was sleeping over at her cousin's house. I tried to reassure Courtney that she wasn't alone, that Jesus was with her always and she could talk to Him and she would feel safe. She said, "I can't hear Him though!" I said, "You can't hear Him like you can hear me, but you can feel Him in your heart. " I kissed her and left the room. However, my mom-sense told me that there was about to be a very cute conversation. And I was right:

Courtney: Dear Jesus, I am scared in here by myself, could you talk to me?
(pause)
Courtney: (whispered voice) What????
(Pause)
Courtney: Could you please talk super-duper loud because I can't hear you very well.
(pause)
Courtney: (soft crying) See I told mom you wouldn't talk to me.

It was sad, but so cute. I of course went back into the room and tried my best to explain what we all wonder from time to time. Is God listening to us and does He really interact with us in a way we can understand. I think it was more of a lesson to me then it was to Courtney. But she soon fell asleep to the droning sounds of my ever present voice and all was well in her world.

3 comments:

Artie said...

that is precious. and yes, we learn alot in listening to them and trying to teach them things, don't we? Its my favorite part of being a mom so far...

Here's a couple from me:
Cliff is enamored of the idea of God being in his heart. Does he ever come out? does he like it in there?

Mom, I want to know what God looks like.

Yeah I think we all do. We all wonder.

So what does he look like?

I don't know, no one really knows except the people in Heaven...what do you think?

Um I think he has red hair.

OK. cool.

Mom, one time when you were little I did *blah blah blah insert rambling nonsense 5 year old story about how he did time travel and knew me when I was little* and I knew it was you.

How did you know it was me?

I just did. I knew you. And then I picked you.

You picked me? for what?

to be my mom.

*insert me trying to hold it together and not veer off the panorama bluffs!!*

out of the mouths of babes...

oh, this is the best one:

I had just had my IUD removed the day before. He didn't know that or that we were up to something, planning for #2/siblng soon. I told NO one other than my husband of course. Out of the blue his teacher pulls me aside at the end of the day and says "this is what Cliff said today"

"I have a baby sister. But she still lives in my mommys heart and she's too little to come out yet"

He was 3...just shy of 3 1/2!!

she was "in my heart"!! It nearly knocked me to my knees. A few weeks later we were pregnant with his baby sister.

I think they have their ears tuned right into God's voice. But you have to figure out how to make God louder than Spongebob.

Mama Shoe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this :) I had to read it a couple of times since it was so good ;)
Love ya ;) Mrs. Blue Eyes