Monday, November 3, 2008

I Wasn't Going to Bring Politics Into This but...

After reading two of my favorite liberals who blog, I am so depressed and really confused, I decided to write out one of my genuine questions . I know, I know these are fighting words, but I really don't understand. I have never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I do know how to think. I don't blindly take someones word, or tell someone they are wrong just because I don't agree. I honestly try to see things from others point of view, and usually come to the conclusion, "OK, I can see how they would think that..." But there are some things I just don't see how a rational, thinking person could embrace and defend so vehemently.

1. How can someone be pro-life yet for the death penalty? This question may be among the most asinine questions. As if an innocent baby is even on the same playing field as someone who has committed a crime such as MULTIPLE murders or rape or the KILLING OF A CHILD who has been living for sometime outside of the mother's womb (like 1 hour-18 years old). These are the only offences that get the death penalty, and this is after years of appeals and years on death row. We aren't taking these criminals out as soon as they are caught and then killing them without first exhausting all possibilities. An aborted baby, is never given any of these possibilities and their only crime is being conceived. How the hell can someone put these two things together?

There are just under 1.3 million abortions a year. Those people who are pro-choice (actually pro-abortion, but get offended by such a label) claim that abortion and partial birth abortion should be a women's choice because of cases like incest, rape, and the health of the mother. John McCain was raked across the coals for "air quoting" mother's health. He said that mother's health has come to mean so many things. Everyone went nuts over this, saying he was insensitive and out of touch. The truth is, "health of the mother" can and does mean mental health, not just whether or not the mother will live or die if this life is brought into the world. This includes the mom not wanting the baby, not being emotionally ready for a baby, or simply not wanting to be inconvenienced with the idea of a baby with or without special needs. You cannot tell me that all 1.3 million abortions each year are in the name of "saving the mother." I've read different statistics that say less than 1% of all abortions are because of the rape and incest. The other 99% are because of the inconvenience factor.

One blog I read vehemently exclaimed, "What about the courage it takes for the mother to choose an abortion...?" Are you kidding me? Other comments included, "If I want to kill my fetus...it's my body...I don't need anyone telling me what I can do with my body." or "When John McCain gives birth out of his penis, he can tell me what to do with my uterus."

These comments and 775 more like them were from mothers!! Come on people, its seriously not about telling anyone what to do with their body. It's trying to protect those who have no voice.

By the way...I don't think abortion should be illegal. Because I think people will do it no matter what...but I don't think they should be so easy to come by that it acts as a form of birth control. And don't even get me started on being able to take my child to get an abortion without my consent. What kind of society are we living in that this is what we are fighting about?

People say, "Don't be a one issue voter..." Truthfully, it says something about the character of a person who would defend this practice with such passion.

So yes, I am pro-life and pro death penalty. But in the name of being fair, if you can prove to me if at any point a baby DESERVES to be put to death like some of our criminals. I am willing and wanting to listen.

And I would be willing to give up being pro-death penalty if you would be willing to give up being pro-choice.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't disagree with you more.
Kill the babies! Save the Criminals! Kill the babies! Save the Criminals! Kill the babies! Save the Criminals! Kill the babies! Save the Criminals! Kill the babies! Save the Criminals! Kill the babies! Save the Criminals! Kill the babies! Save the Criminals!

Long live the demon god Molech!
Molech - 1) the god of the Ammonites and Phoenicians to whom some Israelites sacrificed their infants in the valley of Hinnom
Lev. 18:21; 20:21; Kings 11:7; 2 Kings 23:10; Jeremiah 32:35
Down with the Christian Fundamentalists and all those who believe in the Bible

S Merrick

Anonymous said...

im scared of this elephant man

Anonymous said...

You raise some very good points. It sure is good to read something that makes sense.

Anonymous said...

For those that are pro-choice I ask this question, "At what point in your mother's pregancy with you, would it have been o.k. for her to kill you?" Just curious.

Anonymous said...

I was a teenager when I had two abortions. Over 20 years later, I still weep. Although I have been through counseling and received forgiveness and hope to deal with what I did, I will always regret--when I'm 40, I'll regret, when I'm 80, I'll regret. These two babies were created to live, as are all babies within the womb. I didn't allow that to happen. Could they have changed the world if they were here? Yes. We must help young teenage girls to tell an adult. Notice Proposition 4 says adult family member, perhaps an aunt. That one person will make a world of difference. Would it have changed my life had there been such a law? Yes--and the lives of my two unborn.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I totally agree with your blog... actually, I was rolling my eyes that this voting time, California "protected" the rights of Animals (prop 2 - standards for confined animals), but California could care less about the protecting a baby (it's just tissue right?)... hmmm, how do animals get more rights than a baby?

Thanks for voicing your thougths :)

Love, Mrs. Blue Eyes

Artie said...

my eyes are falling out. we even blog about similar stuff.
where is that tequila!??!?