Sunday, October 28, 2007

Fiddler on the Roof May Be Too Sophisticated for Kids

I like the black, but I understand that most don't. I appreciate the feed back. I thought it was nice to have something different. I am still searching for a new look, so stay tuned.

In other news...I took my children to see "Fiddler on the Roof." It is not really a kids' play. ...Not because it was inappropriate at all. ...Just because it was too sophisticated for their little minds. They enjoyed some of the dancing, but had no idea what a "Matchmaker" was and why that was important. About midway through the play, Kayci leaned over and asked "Mama, we're Jewish right?" Trying to be as quiet as possible because there were others actually into the play I responded with, "No, we are Christians." She said, "Ohhhh, they don't have Jesus in their heart." And with that she went back to sucking her thumb and trying to find a comfortable position in her theater seat. Courtney sat on my lap the whole time. She was not still for more than 15 second intervals. She did manage to pinch my arm between hers and the chair rest which always hurts more than one would think. She hit her head against my chin twice and dug her heels into the tops of my thighs more times than I can count. But I'm not complaining because she was actually quiet through the entire play and only asked to use the restroom during the appropriate time of intermission. I was very impressed with this. Haley brought her friend Katie and even though these two may be two of the smartest 8 year olds on the planet, this play did not hold their attention very well. They exercised extreme self control and sat still through the entire thing. They didn't make a lot of noise and kept their conversation quiet and on topic. They were even polite to the people that invited us and said "Thank You Very Much." Of course as a mother I was very proud.

It was a nice Sunday afternoon outing. Not one I would soon repeat, but a memory even still. And one question: Does anyone remember when eating out was a treat? I remember when my parents took us to McDonalds it was a big treat and there were no complaints. Today trying to get 4 girls to agree on where we were going to eat a quick lunch almost did me in. Seriously. I had to pull into a parking lot and shift into park and calmly explain that we could only go to one place. So if they didn't like my suggestion, they needed to agree. We ended up at KFC. Then the ordering started. I really like to go to In-N-Out just because there aren't that many choices. As if KFC doesn't have enough choices; this particular KFC was coupled with an A & W Root beer store too. So after spending 15 minutes deciding where to eat and 20 minutes ordering we had about 10 minutes to eat and get to the play. Fast food was not meant to be swallowed and not chewed. There were weird smells coming from the row we were in in the theater and I think I know why.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

my mom never gave us a choice. she said, "get in the car and lets go". if we tried to open our mouths there was a nice open palm quicker to shut it. lol. she loves us, but she never gave us an option. im sure things will get easier, just give them a high five..........in the face. haha. i see your girls are a happy mixture of both of you. haha. musicians never know what they want and athletes go in and out quick. haha. good luck!!

Jessica said...

Oh hey lady friend - This has nothing to do with your post. Although I do remember barely being able to make it through a musical and not being able to sit still. It was just a few weeks ago actually during the APU production of Beauty and the Beast. Despite the fact that I was busy and distracted the whole time attempting to play my instrument, it still was a struggle to make it through.

But um when do we get to hang out? Thursday??

Anonymous said...

Funny!
You could always use more green on your site!
It is amazing the amount of physical pain kids can continue to give us Moms. Pinches and chin/head bonks and feet digging in...it's very painful! I know that pain.
"Tradition........tradition!"