Thursday, March 22, 2007

Friends

Last night I had the great joy of sitting and talking briefly with some friends that I don't see very often. As I was driving home I thought about how much fun that brief, unplanned encounter had been. My face was actually sore from smiling so much and laughing so hard. "Why don't I do that more," I thought. How I love just hanging out with people. It was spontaneous; it was safe; most of all it was energizing. I actually felt stronger for being with them. I need to spend more time with friends who encourage me like that. Not necessarily in what they say, but just in being there and being real. I think there is a very important reason why being with friends is so uplifting. We need each other. We were created for relationship...with God first, but with each other as well. I know I am guilty of jam packing my schedule with everything "else" to do and forgetting to slow down and sit and enjoy the friends God has brought into my life, "for such a time as this."

So all this is to say, I'm thankful for those of you who I am allowed to call friend. I am thankful for the brief times we get to share together. I especially love those of you who make me laugh. And I want to remind everyone...make time for people. Even though all of our days are full; it could be the energy boost we need to make it through one more day with a little more joy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicely put, nicely put! Now, can we all turn to #186 in the hymnal and sing..."Bind Us Together, Lord, Bind Us Together with cords that cannot be broken....."

Anonymous said...

You are so funny JRG. You must help lead worship somewhere. Let's follow your hymn with a chorus for the young people, "Friends are Friends Forever," Go ahead cross those aisles people and hold hands with your brothers and sisters!!

Anonymous said...

After reading the comments from your family no wonder you needed to spend time with friends last night! :) It was great to see you again ... we've missed you.

Anonymous said...

Ouch. Jennifer happens to like her family AND their comments!

Anonymous said...

Sorry you took my comment seriously - it was meant in jest. I know she absolutely loves her family as well as their comments.

Anonymous said...

Okay, we forgive you and your very serious looking comments...