Thursday, March 8, 2007

Soccer Mom

I've wondered, since my old Rush Limbaugh days, is the term "Soccer Mom," a bad term? Does the phrase inherently hold a negative connotation or imply that I am a liberal? I don't think it does, but as I embark on the journey toward embracing this phrase as one of my many hats, I would like to know exactly what people think when they hear the words "Soccer Mom."

Kayci starts soccer today. She is so excited. The best part so far has been the $80 we spent on equipment. OK, that wasn't really the best part. But the real best part has been Kayci sleeping with her new cleats (tucked into the shoe box), new purple size 3 soccer ball, and cool pull on socks/shin pads displayed neatly, and safely away from her sisters I might add, along the wall of her bed. Then each morning, it is the first thing she puts on. She doesn't want to kick her ball around in the back yard for fear it may get dirty or the dog will lick it. This from the girl that spends most of life covered in dirt. Today before practice she donned her very stylish soccer ensemble and demanded I take a picture. She posed in a variety of fashions with the smile that the JC Pennys photographers can't seem to capture.

I think I just figured out the term "Soccer Mom:" woman who presents information about her aspiring soccer star as if it is new, interesting information, ignorant of the fact that every one has drifted off into their own memories of their own childhood stuff.

Julie, remember the Sugar Babies? How about when dad was your coach? My favorite part was the orange slices and Caprisun afterward that mom wouldn't let me have because I hadn't actually played in the game...only watched my super-star sister.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes. I remember the Sugar Babies. Then, we were the Wildcats when Dad was the coach. I don't know why, but I don't remember you having to watch the games. I remember Jonni on the sidelines of a particularly windy/rainy soccer Saturday holding an inside-out umbrella over her head, unsuccessfully trying to stay dry and warm. It still makes me laugh! I can only think of your gymastic events that I had to attend, never thinking about or remembering you ever having to attend my events. Sorry you weren't rewarded with a Caprisun. I may have given you part of mine if I had realized what you had been through, having to be entertained by a bunch of little girls trying also to be entertained ON the soccer field.

Anonymous said...

yes, i too remember those damn days. my umbrella going inside out. kids on the sideline not believing me when i told them i was a girl....ackadacka

Anonymous said...

was that my baby that cussed:(
I am proud of my girls and I love you very much:)
Dad was a good coach. He enjoyed that very much