Monday, March 12, 2007

My Broken Vacuum

Yes, Jonni...I broke the beautiful vacuum that you gave me. Courtesy of Ellen D. I'm a loser I know. The story of how it broke is one of my most shameful moments ever. However, the story needs to be told to prevent or comfort others who have found themselves in similar predicaments. Be prepared to shake your head in disgust and amusement:

The day dawned a beautiful sunny, full of hope kind of day. The plan: go to Bible Study, then to Yoga, then home to do all of the duties that go along with home. I dressed in my yoga pants and colorful t-shirt. (this is important to the story). Left my hair down, because it was a good hair day. After certain unforeseen occurrences I missed Bible study. Still motivated to go to Yoga I found myself with some extra housekeeping time and decided to vacuum. My beautiful, shiny red vacuum stood proud over in the corner anxious to do my bidding. The living room and family room were soon dust and hair free. After a quick inspection of the dirt receptacle in my vacuum I continued into Kayci's newly (and rarely) cleaned room. Unfortunately, my aged eyes did not see the scrap of cloth left just out of range of my peripheral vision. But apparently in perfect place to be sucked up by the vacuum. This caused problems...but did not break the vacuum. No...no...I broke it. As I was trying to take off the bottom plastic piece that holds in the roller the frustration began to grow. It was also at this point that I realized that the person who made this vacuum cleaner, never actually intended this apparatus to be removed. It was held stubbornly in place by 6 tiny screws. After careful removal of the first 5 screws I excitedly went to remove the 6th. ONE HOUR LATER, sweat dripping down my face, strands of hair stuck to my face and neck and a stark realization that yoga pants are HOT (not in the attractive way) I still could not remove that 6th screw. The time for Yoga had long since passed and my patience level had evaporated. So in complete exasperation I broke the plastic thing off of the bottom of the machine. Yep, snapped it right off. The effort it took was substantial...but that thing was coming off!! The vile 6th screw is still in place, but the plastic is gone...never to be replaced. So now there is nothing holding the roller in...except a tiny, stripped to the point that the grooves in the top are a complete circle, screw. The screw of death and destruction it will forever be known as.

The question my husband had was, "Why did you keep working at it for an hour?" My response was a simple, I just knew the next time I turned the screwdriver would be the winning turn. I just knew it needed just one more turn. One more turn....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is a feakin' sad story. it is important that we never talk about this in person...important for your safety.

Anonymous said...

I can identify with your caper; hope I didn't have anything to do with that part of your personality. ha ha!
Can you screw the cover back on with the other 5 screws?

Anonymous said...

I think Jonni's mad! She might pull your hair. And I like that good ol' Dad is still trying to help fix the vacuum!
The best part is that I bet you were turning that sixth screw the wrong way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just replaced the belt on my vacuum the other day. All the screws came out pretty easily. I suggest (and Paul Harvey and Rush Limbaugh, also, suggest) that you get an 8 pound Oreck!! They're hypo-allergenic. And it sounds like you, Jennifer, need a hypo-allergenic vacuum!

Anonymous said...

Okay, after I posted on this blog, I went out and bought some storage cubes for my kids' closets. I got the idea from you, jennifer. I've seen them in Kayci's closet. I'd like to know how you put those together without throwing them across the room!!! Can you blog about that? Please? For me?